Ludvig R Poulsen went into business in 1892 selling tools and electrical supplies. In 1896 he hired his nephew Louis Poulsen, who took over the business upon his uncle's death ten years later. In 1913 Sophus Kaastrup-Olsen became a partner in the firm, and four years later bought out Louis Poulsen to become sole owner. In 1924 Poul Henningsen began working with the company, designing lamps that won gold medals at the International Exhibition for Decorative Arts in Paris. The partnership continued throughout Henningsen's lifetime, and indeed the PH lamps are still in production at the company today. Louis Poulsen is the lone survivor amongst the handful of Danish lighting companies that occupied the luxury end of the market in the postwar period, and remains a household name worldwide today. Other designers working with Louis Poulsen in the mid to late 20th century included Andreas Hansen, Arne Jacobsen and Verner Panton.